Friday, May 21, 2004

Why Teachers Don't Like Elections

My sister who is the OIC of the school district of our town served on the Board of Canvassers as Chairman (I may be wrong here about the terminologies).

Before the election both rival groups accused her of favoring the other side.

The incumbent Mayor of the town was my classmate in the grade school and a friend. But since I now lived in the city, I couldn't vote for her. Which I think is a good thing. Since the opposing party is also close to our family.

This election she was already intimating to my sister of her suspicion that our family is for the other side. The other faction also voiced their own apprehension about the impartiality of my sister.

Elections divide friends and families. (Except for families who bet on either sides in order to preserve their fortune.)

That is one reason teachers would rather not serve during elections. Not only is the pay very low. A teacher risks his life if the election is hotly contested. And he or she is always accused of bias by whoever loses.

Many teacher who were drafted to serve even taunted the COMELEC that they would instead pay so long as they are not forced to serve.

That is a vote of no confidence in the COMELEC, if you ask me.