Saturday, June 12, 2004

Arial as official font.

Our office recently made it an official policy to use Arial in all documents in the office.

Personally, I have always preferred Times New Roman or its equivalent in printed document. As a compulsiv reader and, once upon a time, an in-house newsletter executive editor I am inclined towards the serif fonts for the body of my documents. Sans-serif would be appropriate for titles and subheads.

Susan Kaltenbach says this about printed documents:
Some research demonstrates that using a serif font in print documents is beneficial to users. The serif font speeds the reading process by helping users to distinguish characters more easily. The use of a serif font may also assist in information “chunking,” to make short-term memory use more efficient.

Another study found out that:
Results from the questionnaire showed a preference of 100% for Times New Roman for personal use and a preference of 68% for Times New Roman for web use.

Perhaps there are other studies on which top management based our official policy on fonts.

But in my personal communications and on publications over which I have the latitude I still go for Times New Roman.